EonCraft

Survival & Creative Minecraft Server

Forums

Forum Home > Tech support > Sticky: About Minecraft updates

OrtwinS

When MC updates, it allways takes about a week (or more) for the server to update. If you do not take appropriate precautions you will not be able to play during that time.

Why?

Our server runs Craftbukkit, it is an opensource version of the official MC server adapted to be able to use plugins wich can add all sorts of extra game mechanics.

The Bukkit team is in no way affiliated with Notch and Mojang so they have no warning whatsoever, when the update hits they get to work to make Bukkit compatible again. The same counts for the two dozen plugins we use. Those are made and maintained by people in their free time. Bukkit is usually updated for the new MC version within hours, but the many MANY plugins usually take a week or so.

How to prepare

There are 2 major ways to prepare for these events.

1 - Dont upgrade at all

2 - Make sure you have a backup, and swap files depending on what version you want to play on.

Eh... how do I do that?

For both methods you MUST have the new Minecraft launcher. And you MUST use the client to play the game, not the browser version. It allows you to choose the 'not now' option when it finds there is a new version available.

1 - simply keep choosing the 'not now' option, and keep an eye on the website, I will inform you about the update progress via the website.

2 - Find your .minecraft folder, and copy it to another location. Whenever you want to play the new version simply update. When you want to play the old version replace the updated folder (delete it, do NOT merge) with the old one.

WARNING: inside the .minecraft folder is a 'saves' folder, make sure to backup your saves when you replace the new MC version with the old one, trying to play an updated world with an outdated MC version will most likely break stuff. and you do not want to overwrite your world with an older version anyway

How do I know what launcher I have?

If you boot your launcher, it show you Minecraft news on the log-in page. If it doesn't you still have the old one. Get the new one from minecraft.net, just like when you bought the game.

Where can I find the .minecraft folder?

For windows users: users/[your account name]/AppData/Roaming/.minecraft

The appdata folder might be hidden.

Mac:    finder > your accounts name > libary > application support > minecraft   (thanks Mat!)

For Linux: [I don't know]

November 18, 2011 at 3:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

VvmattozzvV
Site Owner

This is for Linux: /home/YourSessionName and Press Ctrl+H or Right-Click and "Show hidden files"

--

November 18, 2011 at 11:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dmgadelha

I'm sure that plug-in makers will do it a bit faster this time ;)    everyone is very excited... I have a backup of .minecraft folder tho for those 2-3 days server will be on 1.8

--

November 18, 2011 at 5:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sceptin
Eh, I couldn't be stopped from upgrading haha. All the new things! I'll be playing around with it all in my sp world until server updates. I love enchanting :D
November 19, 2011 at 9:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

srking97

So will we be getting a new map? Will we keep our stuff?

November 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dmgadelha

I'm pretty sure we're keeping our stuff if we get a new map... I remember matt or ort saying we would...

one way to make it easy for the admins to sort could be keeping our current world... adding a telepad somewhere to the new one and people could transter the items themselfs... give them a week... then delete old map.... not sure if its possible

(of course... no killing poor travelers while they are transfer items =p )

--

November 20, 2011 at 8:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OrtwinS

dmgadelha at November 20, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I'm pretty sure we're keeping our stuff if we get a new map... I remember matt or ort saying we would...

one way to make it easy for the admins to sort could be keeping our current world... adding a telepad somewhere to the new one and people could transter the items themselfs... give them a week... then delete old map.... not sure if its possible

(of course... no killing poor travelers while they are transfer items =p )

aye, I would simply create a new 1.0 world, and disable the creative world temporarily (running 4 worlds might be a bit too much for the server).

Then everyone has time to transfer their stuff.

That is, IF we want a new world... (lets make a new thread for that discussion).

November 21, 2011 at 4:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.